The School of Basic & Biomedical Sciences (SBBS) is a constituent of the University of Health and Allied Sciences, Ho, Ghana. It was created during the establishment of the University in 2012 to be at the leading edge of teaching, research and innovation. The School’s mandate is to develop innovative solutions to health and disease in communities.
SBBS is located in Ho, capital of the Volta Region of Ghana. It is the engine of research for the University and offers the scientific and health professional community access to a variety of basic and collaborative research infrastructure.
Our Vision is to become a pre-eminent research and practically oriented institution dedicated to providing timely biomedical solutions to health challenges in Ghana and beyond.
- To advance knowledge through scholarship and research and train world-class scientists needed to solve health challenges and grow the scientific economy of Ghana.
- To provide a hub for delivering high quality and competitive research, teaching, learning and technological development to our immediate community, nation and external partners.
- To partner and engage with relevant stakeholders in the community to advance the knowledge and understanding of science and technology
- To provide a firm grounding in the three basic sciences; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Biomedical Sciences, Mathematics, Numeracy and Quantitative Skills, and, Qualitative Writing Skills to all students who have gained admission to the University, through teaching and research for persons suitably qualified and capable of benefiting from such education;
- To disseminate knowledge, provide service and the results of research and their applications to the needs and aspirations of the people of Ghana;
- To encourage and to provide students with core fundamental scientific principles and reasoning, pre-clinical and other transferable skills and services, to contribute positively to improving the health status and overall quality of life, and foster partnerships with outside persons and bodies.
CORE VALUES AND PHILOSOPHY
- Student-centered teaching and learning
- Team-based approaches to research and development
- Integrated, practical (problem-solving) approach to teaching and learning
- Community-based and interaction and service
- Encourage life-long learning