The Department of Biomedical Sciences is an interdisciplinary department founded during the establishment of the University on the conviction that the delivery of quality health science training and research will require an integrated hub where a variety of fields relating to the life and health sciences converge. Such fields include: anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, data science and bioinformatics, genetics and molecular pathology, microbiology, immunology and biotechnology.
The department thus promotes better integration of faculty members and defines an amalgam of unified academic disciplines that provide the basis for investigation and addressing the next generation of biomedical challenges in health. We are devoted to the development and improvement of methods for teaching, learning and application of biomedical and life sciences.
We provide and cultivate an intellectual home for collaborative research that will lead to novel discoveries and understanding of diseases and the development of technologies for health.
To be a world-class centre of excellence for training and research providing relevant and timely solutions in the life and health sciences to Ghana and the rest of Africa.
1. To deliver quality undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral training programs.
2. To conduct state of the art biomedical research relevant to the health of Ghanaians and Africans at large.
3. To contribute to the development of diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive technologies.
4. To foster scholarly activity and strengthen capacity among academics, health professionals, researchers, students and other stakeholders in areas relevant to health and the life sciences
1. To develop interdisciplinary academic programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels
2. To collaborate with other departments, schools and institutes within UHAS and externally to deliver academic and research training to build and strengthen biomedical capacity
3. To establish well equipped collaborative research laboratories to undertake basic and applied biomedical and life sciences research
4. To conduct research to discover and develop novel diagnostics, drugs and vaccines for Africa
5. To advocate for funding and establishment local repositories and platforms for collection, managing and dissemination of biological data
6. To develop a biomedical ecosystem encompassing training, research and development of health technologies for economic growth
7. To provide laboratory support and technical training for research being carried out in UHAS